...our new little girl has made our lives complete!
Announcing the (early) arrival of Delia Irene LeCompte!
Born: December 22, 2009 at 1:20pm
5lbs 12oz
18 1/2 inches long
Born: December 22, 2009 at 1:20pm
5lbs 12oz
18 1/2 inches long
Here's how it happened: At around 12:30am on Tuesday, December 22nd, I woke up from a deep sleep feeling as if maybe I was sleeping so soundly that I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. I headed to the bathroom quickly, a little confused, but still half asleep. On my way back from the bathroom, I felt another gush. This time I knew that something was different. I decided to go back to bed to rest and, in the process, I monitored contractions. They were coming exactly every 5 minutes. I woke Sam up and we called the Birth Center. They said that we should come in just to see what's going on. In my mind I'm thinking..."She's 3 1/2 weeks early...I didn't plan for a sub...I don't have my long-term sub's phone number...I can't get a hold of anyone from school...it's the last day before break...the kids are going to be crazy...the kids are going to ask questions..."
Sam packed up the car (Thank God I packed my hospital bag just two days earlier!). I entered my absence into the sub system, and we were off to the hospital. My contractions were now 4 minutes apart. It was starting to snow and no one was on the roads.
We got to the hospital about 1:30am and checked in. They examined me and confirmed that my water had broken and they were going to admit me! I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced (just 5 days earlier at my doctor appointment I was 2 cm and 60% effaced). Now I'm thinking..."Whoa, she's 3 1/2 weeks early...I don't know if I'm ready for this...it's really starting to get uncomfortable..."
At around 3:30am, I asked if there was anything I could get to take the edge off. I didn't want to do an epidural yet. I wanted to see how long I could go without one. Many of my teacher friends recommended Nubain and the nurse also said that was an option. I opted for it and it allowed me (and Sam) to rest comfortably for about 4 hours.
7:30am: I'm starting to feel things a little more now. While I was on Nubain, my contractions slowed down a little bit, so they also gave me Pitocin. So once the Nubain wore off, the contractions were strong and very regular...about 2-3 minutes apart.
10:30am: I could not stand the pain/pressure any longer. I decided to get an epidural and that made such a difference!
12:30pm: 9cm dilated 100% effaced. Even with the epidural, I'm feeling great amounts of pressure and the urge to push. The nurses weren't that concerned as this was my first baby and they said that if I wanted to start pushing I could (not really blowing me off, but I felt like they didn't believe how close I was to delivering). I pushed a few times on my own, with Sam and a nurse at my side. After the first few pushes, I think the nurse realized that things were going to happen quicker than they thought! They started to frantically get things ready, called the doctor, and had me continue to push when I felt the urge. By 12:50, I was in "hard labor;" 1:00pm the doctor arrived, and at 1:20pm, my little girl was placed into my arms for the very first time. It was a feeling I can't put into words. I was amazed, relieved, and completely in LOVE!
Here are some of the first pictures of our precious Delia!

No comments:
Post a Comment